April 11, 2009

Baharat Belly Dance Ensemble


Baharat is a term used to describe a blend of Arabic spices. When I was looking for a word or phrase to describe my student troupe, the term seemed to fit just perfectly. They are a mixture of sweetness and sass, and their enthusiasm and love of this dance is just contagious. The troupe consists of students in my Intermediate level class which meets on Sunday evenings. Attendance in the class is mandatory for troupe participation, and class time is spent working on choreographies, technique, solo preparation as well as improvisational skills. If you wish to attend the class but don't want to perform, you can certainly do that as well!


In January, 2010 Baharat Dance Ensemble debuted as a collaborative venture that includes my current intermediate students and guest dancers. This mix of dancers from the community allows me to bring in talented dancers to round out performances and allows my students to work with other lovely ladies. So, look for more events this upcoming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment